AMERICAN THEATRE Features Calendar
, we've long
published a few regular issues:
• October's Annual Season Preview
• January/February Approaches to Theatre Training
• May/June CONFERENCE
• July/August: Design & Technology
JANUARY / FEBRUARY 2020: DRAMATIC WRITING
THE PLAYWRIGHT is still at the center of our popular culture—and we don’t just mean in the sense that plays have found success on Broadway. A strong percentage of the streaming content that occupies our many screens and our conversations has sprung from, or been shaped by, the minds of playwrights and dramatists.
In this annual spotlight training issue, we’ll look at how a new generation of playwrights is being taught to write for all mediums, by writers who are doing the same. We’ll also look at other ways the nation’s preeminent PLAYWRITING PROGRAMS are changing and diversifying to tell the stories of our time.
Also in this issue:
• WHAT IS THE QUESTION? Watching John Guare build his plays inspired his erstwhile assistant to do the same.
• REVIEW: A Maybe Happy Ending. A new show at Atlanta’s Alliance puts a fresh East-West spin on the American musical
• A B-Boy at Yale. Rudi Goblen, break-dancing champ turned playwright, enters a school that has done its own share of learning
• New books about the Foundry Theatre and the Tectonic Theatre
Extended Reservation Deadline November 19 Art due December 2
MARCH 2020: CLIMATE CHANGE
We’ll look at this as both the theme of new work, and as an urgent social-practice issue for theatres and theatre workers. Full-length playscript TBA
APRIL 2020: OFF-BROADWAY
Focus on this closely related community; a place where so many new plays are bred and developed, some of them on their way to Broadway, almost all of them out to the rest of the U.S. - even without the stamp of Broadway. We’ll explore how Off-Broadway theatres have (and have not) diversified their programming over the last decade, and the distance still to go on that front.
MAY/JUNE 2020: PHOENIX, AZ
A profile of our 2020 conference city.
Full-length playscript TBA
For rates & sizes, click here.
For deadlines, click here.
For information on digital advertising, click here.
TCG Advertising Department
PHONE: 212.609.5900 ext 380