TCG's Commitment to Arts Advocacy
Theatre Communications Group is the primary advocate for the not-for-profit professional theatre in the United States. TCG represents the theatre field both in Washington, DC, and nationally, to provide timely information for theatres and theatre artists on federal legislation, regulations and other significant government opportunities and issues.
TCG is a Founding Member of the Performing Arts Alliance
TCG is a member of the Performing Arts Alliance, the Coalition of Performing Arts Advocates. The Alliance is a coalition of national performing arts service organizations dedicated to advocating for national policies that recognize, enhance, and foster the contributions the performing arts make to America. Other founding members include the Association of Performing Arts Presenters, Dance/USA, the League of American Orchestras, and OPERA America. Members include American Composers Forum, Chorus America, Fractured Atlas, National Alliance for Musical Theatre, National Association of Latino Arts and Culture, National Performance Network, and New Music America. Together we advocate effectively on issues that specifically affect the performing arts and approach all our efforts through a performing arts lens.
We encourage everyone to visit the Performing Arts Alliance website and to join our advocacy network in order to receive Action Alerts that will inform you as to when and how to make your voice heard!
TCG is Involved in Key Arts Advocacy Issues
- Increased funding for the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA)
- Increased funding for Arts Education at the US Department of Education
- More timely processing of visas for foreign artists through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) (formerly INS)
- The protection of wireless microphone technology: FCC/White Space
- Other legislative issues
TCG Advocates for the American Theatre by Providing Its Member Theatres
- Membership in the Performing Arts Alliance and monthly Advocacy Reports, describing recent government developments
- Electronic arts-related Action Alerts prompting immediate action
- Policy updates printed in the:
Advocacy Pages of the TCG website
- Tools and resources for advocacy including TCG's Grassroots Kit, "Political Advocacy for Your Theatre"
- In addition, TCG provides:
Witnesses for hearings
Close working relationships with other arts advocacy organizations and coalitions, such as Americans for the Arts, the Cultural Advocacy Group and other groups dedicated to government support of the arts
For more information about Government Programs at TCG please contact Laurie Baskin, director of government and education programs.