Literature & Resources | FAQs | Timeline | Application
2015 Audience (R)Evolution Convening
"Only connect! That was the whole of her sermon. Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."
--E.M. Forster, Howard's End
The 2013 Audience (R)Evolution Learning Convening in Philadelphia was TCG's first step in truly defining the full spectrum of audience engagement and community development, and sharing working models from our field and beyond. The 2015 Convening will provide even broader peer learnings and opportunities for the exchange of ideas and lessons learned. Invoking E.M. Forster’s famous imperative “Only connect!”, this Convening will serve as a vehicle for theatre-makers to identify and connect with partners at other organizations with whom they might develop new strategies and models for audience engagement.
Interested in joining us to connect with the next steps of TCG's Audience (R)Evolution? Read on for more information and how to apply to our second Convening in Kansas City, from March 25-27, 2015.
Audience (R)Evolution is a multi-year program designed by TCG and funded by the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation to study, promote and support successful audience engagement and community development models across the country. This initiative, now moving into its second round of activity, encompasses four phases: research and assessment; convenings; grantmaking; and widespread dissemination of audience engagement models that work.
From March 25 - 27, 2015, TCG will convene approximately 200 theatre, arts and cultural professionals at the Kauffman Foundation Conference Center and other performing arts venues in Kansas City, Missouri. Building on the success of the first convening, attendees will be given the opportunity to:
• learn from practitioners with track records of successful audience engagement;
• discuss findings from TCG's ongoing assessments and research of the field, as well as findings from cross-disciplinary sources;
• explore current audience engagement and community development models in the field;
• hear from dynamic speakers; and connect with peers to share successful strategies.
• identify fellow cohorts that share similar needs, objectives or interests and are looking to develop strategies and models for audience engagement that address those needs at a deeper level.
The work done at this convening will inform the Audience (R)Evolution grant program as well as programming at TCG's 2015 National Conference in Cleveland.
Attending the Convening
As in 2013, to ensure a focused and results-oriented Convening, TCG will once again identify participants whose work and experience reflect best practices and forward-thinking for the field at large. Convening attendees will be staff of TCG Member Theatres, staff from non-member theatres, and individuals from other theatre organizations and cultural sectors. The group will include seasoned audience engagement/community development professionals as well as individuals without substantial experience in this subject who demonstrate real interest and specific goals in these areas.
Convening attendees will be identified through an application process. There is no open registration for this Convening. If you are interested in attending the 2015 Convening, please fill out an application form by December 22, 2014. If you are invited to register for the Convening, you will be notified by late January, 2015. Before deciding to apply, be sure that you fulfill most, if not all, of the following criteria:
• experience generating effective approaches to audience engagement and community development initiatives (not exclusive to theatre)
• evidence of, commitment to, and ability to identify the unique challenges of your organization/community
• have an understanding of the significance of potential impact the Convening may have on your organization
• overall interest in learning about audience engagement and community development initiatives
• you are a staff member or an artist affiliated with a TCG Member Theatre*
*While not a requirement, TCG Member Theatres are encouraged to apply in "teams" of two, including implementers, supporters and/or decision-makers of audience engagement and community development strategies. Please see our FAQ page for additional information.
To see who attended the 2013 Convening, click here for a list of attendees. For more information on the content of the 2013 Audience (R)Evolution Learning Convening, please visit the Agenda page or the event's video archive.
To apply for the 2015 Convening in Kansas City, please click here.
Questions about the Audience (R)Evolution program? Contact AudienceRev@tcg.org.