New Plays in Production
Edgerton Foundation New American Play Awards:
Over the last seven years, the Edgerton Foundation has supported an extended rehearsal process for 216 world premiere productions across the U.S. Through this support, many plays have scheduled numerous subsequent productions, with 12 making it to Broadway. Seven plays have been nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for Drama, with Next to Normal winning in 2010 and Water by the Spoonful in 2012.
We hope these profiles will provide insight into each theatre's reasons for producing these plays, and encourage future productions. Information is available online for the 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Round 1 and Round 2, 2012 and 2013 Edgerton Foundation grantees.
Piloted in 2006 with the Center Theatre Group in Los Angeles, the Edgerton Foundation New American Play Awards give plays in development extended rehearsal period for the entire creative team, including the playwrights. The program launched nationally in 2007 and has awarded grants to non-profit theatres for 216 new plays to date. The Edgerton Foundation was awarded the 2011 TCG National Funder Award.
Theatres with a strong and consistent track record of producing new work are invited to submit letters of inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org. A panel of readers reviews the plays and one-time grants (ranging from $5,000 - $75,000) are awarded.
Plays that have been seen in New York include the following:
Broadway Productions after Regional Productions:
- 33 Variations (Tony nomination)
- Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo (Pulitzer finalist, Tony nomination)
- Bronx Bombers
- Curtains (Tony nomination)
- In the Next Room (or the vibrator play) (Pulitzer finalist, Tony nomination)
- Next To Normal (Pulitzer winner, Tony nomination)
- Time Stands Still (Tony nomination)
- Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike (2013 Tony Award for Best Play)
Broadway World Premieres:
- Free Man of Color (Pulitzer finalist)
- Good People (Tony nomination)
Off Broadway Productions after Regional Productions:
- Back, Back, Back,
- The Brother/Sister Plays
- The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Diety (Pulitzer finalist)
- Water by the Spoonful (Pulitzer winner, 2012)
Off Broadway World Premieres:
- Break of Noon
- By the Way, Meet Vera Stark
- Burnt Part Boys
- Farragut North
- Grand Manner
- In Transit
- Rapture, Blister, Burn (Pulitzer finalist)