Search the Archives:
New Plays in Production
Edgerton Foundation New American Play Awards:
Welcome to this section of TCG's website, featuring profiles and media coverage of world premieres scheduled at TCG theatres. We hope these profiles will provide insight into each theatre's reasons for developing and/or producing a particular new play. Information is available online for the 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Round 1 and Round 2, and 2012 Round 1 Edgerton Foundation grantees.
The plays in this section are funded by the Edgerton Foundation New American Play Awards. Piloted in 2006 with the Center Theatre Group in Los Angeles, The Edgerton Foundation gives plays in development extended rehearsal period for the entire creative team, including the playwrights.
The Edgerton Foundation New American Plays Program launched nationally in 2007 and has awarded grants to non-profit theatres for 150 new plays to date. Forty three plays have gone on or been scheduled to have subsequent productions following their world premieres.
Theatres with a strong and consistent track record of producing new work are invited to submit letters of inquiry to email@example.com. A panel of readers reviews the plays and one-time grants (ranging from $5,000 - $75,000) are awarded.
Plays that have been seen in New York include the following:
Broadway Productions after Regional Productions:
- 33 Variations (Tony nomination)
- Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo (Pulitzer finalist, Tony Nomination)
- Curtains (Tony nomination)
- In the Next Room or the vibrator play (Pulitzer finalist, Tony nomination)
- Next To Normal (Pulitzer winner, Tony nomination)
- Time Stands Still (Tony nomination)
- Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
Broadway World Premieres:
- Free Man of Color (Pulitzer finalist)
- Good People (Tony nomination)
Off Broadway Productions after Regional Productions:
- Back, Back, Back,
- Brother/Sister Plays
- Elaborate Entrance of Chad Diety (Pulitzer Finalist)
Off Broadway World Premieres:
- Break of Noon
- By the Way, Meet Vera Stark
- Burnt Part Boys
- Farragut North
- Grand Manner
- In Transit
- TCG and Edgerton Foundation Name First Round of 2011 Award Winners
Stage Directions, July 15, 2011