Please find Alan Schneider Director Award nominee eligibility and selection criteria below. Refer to the Nomination & Application page for guidelines on the nomination and application process.
Only nominated candidates may apply for the Alan Schneider Director Award. Eligible nominees must be:
- Freelance, mid-career theatre directors with a commitment to work in the not-for profit professional theatre;
- Able to illustrate a history of continual freelance work as a director within a specific U.S. region or territory;
- Able to show their commitment to freelance directing. Artistic directors are not eligible, but other artists who hold full-time positions within artistic organizations are eligible.
Selection Process & Criteria
The Alan Schneider Director Award recipient is chosen by an independent selection panel of theatre professionals from across the U.S. Nominees interested in applying will be asked to submit material describing the nature of their work and their artistic goals. All materials, including the nominee’s application, letters of recommendation and the original nomination form, will be forwarded to a preliminary panel, which will choose the finalists to be interviewed.
In choosing the recipient, the panelists will consider the following set of criteria:
- A clearly defined artistic voice;
- Directing skills, talent and professional experience;
- Potential for future excellence;
- Clear and appropriate use of funds;
- Commitment to a career as a freelance director in the not-for-profit professional theatre;
- Need for national visibility provided by the award.
The award will be presented during the TCG National Conference on June 4 - 6, 2020 in Phoenix, AZ. The recipient must be present at the Conference to receive the award. The recipient will receive $7,500 which may be used for travel, research or other activities specifically focused on the development of their directing craft and career.
If you have any questions, please contact Joshua Smalley, artistic & international programs associate, at email@example.com.