TCG strongly believes that improving equity, diversity and inclusion in the U.S. theatre field is essential to the vitality of theatre as an art form. To that end, TCG is fully committed to supporting a wide range of aesthetics, perspectives, organizational sizes and structures as well as celebrating all areas of identity, including: gender, race, nation of origin, class, age, disability, sexual orientation and religion/spirituality.
TCG's strategic plan includes a multi-year Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Initiative (EDII) to transform the national theatre field into a more equitable, inclusive and diverse community. The Rising Leaders of Color (RLC) Program is part of that initiative and is an expansion and re-envisioning of TCG’s Young Leaders of Color Program (YLC) which launched in 2008. Alongside TCG’s SPARK Leadership Program, RLC is changing the face of the theatre field by nurturing and supporting an intergenerational network of leaders of color at various stages in their careers.
In 2020, RLC will form a cohort of exceptionally talented New York-based early-career leaders of color who are advancing their careers in the U.S. not-for-profit theatre and related sectors; and who demonstrate the potential to impact the field in a positive way. Activities will span from May 2020 through May 2021. Participants will be required to attend an orientation meeting in mid-May 2020. In addition, all RLC participants are required to participate in professional development workshops and events in Phoenix from June 2–8 during the 2020 TCG National Conference in Phoenix, AZ. The orientation meeting date will be announced at the time of notification and a detailed agenda will be provided in advance of each event.
The RLC cohort will be highlighted in TCG’s Spotlight On programming at the Conference, including networking opportunities, appearing in a Spotlight On slideshow that will be shown at the Conference, and inclusion in a Spotlight On brochure that will be distributed to all Conference attendees.
TCG will provide the following to RLC participants:
- Roundtrip economy travel between New York and Phoenix, AZ
- Ground Transportation to and from the airport in Phoenix and New York
- Housing in Phoenix while attending the TCG National Conference
- A limited daily per diem while attending the TCG National Conference
- A full registration scholarship to attend the 2020 TCG National Conference in Phoenix, AZ
- Professional development workshops and networking opportunities
- Access to veteran leaders in the field
- Access to a national network of peers
- One-on-One career counseling with TCG staff
- 1-year subscription to American Theatre magazine (print and online)
- 1-year subscription to ARTSEARCH®
- RLC Toolkit, including publications and resource materials