TCG strongly believes that improving equity, diversity and inclusion in the U.S. theatre field is essential to the vitality of theatre as an art form. More than ever, during this time of resurgent anti-Black violence and a pandemic that has disproportionately impacted communities of color, the theatre field needs leaders who are committed and prepared to move the field to a more just and thriving future. To that end, TCG is fully committed to supporting a wide range of aesthetics, perspectives, organizational sizes and structures as well as celebrating all areas of identity, including gender, race, nation of origin, class, age, disability, sexual orientation and religion/spirituality.
TCG's strategic plan includes a multi-year Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Initiative (EDII) to transform the national theatre field into a more equitable, inclusive and diverse community. The Rising Leaders of Color (RLC) Program is part of that initiative and is an expansion and re-envisioning of TCG’s Young Leaders of Color Program (YLC) which launched in 2008. Alongside TCG’s SPARK Leadership Program, RLC is changing the face of the theatre field by nurturing and supporting an intergenerational network of leaders of color at various stages in their careers.
In 2020, RLC the cohort is composed of exceptionally talented New York-based leaders of color who are advancing their careers in the U.S. not-for-profit theatre and related sectors; and who demonstrate the potential to impact the field in a positive way.
The pandemic and resulting social distancing are altering the program activities which span from May 2020 through May 2021. The curriculum currently includes:
- A two-part orientation meeting covering TCG’s programs and services, leadership training and anti-racism;
- Participation in professional development workshops and events during the 2020 TCG Virtual Convening;
- A two-part Values Clarification workshop;
- One-on-one meetings with field leaders as Thought Partners to identify and explore solutions to career challenges faced by RLC;
- Additional webinars and virtual workshops with topics determined by the needs of the cohort;
- Individual career counseling and full-cohort conversations.
The RLC cohort will be highlighted in American Theatre magazine and throughout TCG’s social media platforms.