The Willa Kim Costume Design Scholarship will provide exceptionally talented costume designers who are enrolled in a university or professional training program with the opportunity to supplement their fine arts training in drawing and painting. Allowable expenses include: tuition, registration fees and supplies for the additional fine arts training. Funds cannot be used for required curriculum at the applicant’s college, university or professional training program.
Eligible applicants must submit their applications and digital portfolio through TCG's Online Application Portal no later than the listed deadlines.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Submit an online application with supplemental materials by the deadline, May 9, 2019 NOON ET
- Be currently enrolled and in good standing at a college, university or professional training program for the duration of the fellowship period July 1, 2019—June 30, 2020
Selection Process & Criteria:
Applicants must demonstrate:
- Artistry, creativity and skills;
- Evidence of commitment, ability and a clear plan to improve the applicant’s skills as a costume designer;
- Degree to which the scholarship can contribute to the applicant’s artistic growth;
- Potential for future excellence as a professional costume designer;
- Commitment to a career in the not-for-profit professional theatre field.
Applications will be evaluated through a competitive review process by a national, independent and diverse selection panel composed of professional designers and theatre educators. Scholarships will be awarded solely on the selection criteria listed above, and not based on financial need.
In preparing the application, candidates should consider that the selection panel is searching for a well-rounded representation of the designer through the written application and portfolio. Ideal candidates for the scholarship will demonstrate a clear assessment of their technical skills, as well as their aesthetic sensibilities. The panel will also assess the candidate’s flexibility and openness to new techniques, forms and ideas.