The Global Theater Initiative, which serves as home of the U.S. Center of the International Theatre Institute, invites all theatres, individual artists, institutions and audiences to celebrate the 58th annual World Theatre Day on March 27, 2019. For questions, or access to the World Theatre Day logo, please email email@example.com
- Share the international and U.S. messages on or around March 27 through program notes, curtain speeches and online media.
- Follow WTD updates on Twitter, and tweet about World Theatre Day using hashtag #WTD19 with a message like, “Celebrate World Theatre Day 2019 on March 27"
- Follow the International Theatre Institute on Facebook, and post your own messages like this one, “Join us as we celebrate World Theatre Day 2019 leading up to the 58th Anniversary on March 27. There are many ways to get involved, so please help us champion the power of theatre to strengthen cultural exchange and mutual understanding across borders!”
- Register with the Performing Arts Alliance (PAA) and take action by contacting your elected officials regarding the need for: Improved visa processing for international guest artists (Issue Brief); Increased funding for the Cultural Programs Division of the State Department (Issue Brief)
- Host a round table with your community to discuss the themes related to World Theatre Day
- Offer ticket discounts in celebration of the day
- Make your backstage space available for audiences to tour
Participate Beyond WTD 2019:
- Register with the Human Rights Watch to learn about human rights issues from around the world
- Consider applying for a Fulbright to conduct theatre research, training, and teaching —our world needs more creative solutions and leadership to resolve many of our challenges, and the Fulbright is making an effort to include more artists and theatre scholars in their programs
- Set a goal to work with your local community and Sister Cities International to create a reciprocal cultural exchange or project with your sister city