A practical guide to creating successful immersive theatre productions, by an experienced theatre-maker and practitioner.
Placing the audience at the heart of a production – not as passive bystanders but as active participants – is the impetus behind the hugely varied work of leading immersive theatre companies such as Punchdrunk, OneOhOne and Hobo Theatre. Done well, it can generate powerful, gut-level emotional effects that will long outlast the production itself.
Creating Worlds offers a step-by-step breakdown of the entire journey towards making an immersive theatre production, and covers everything you need to consider, including:
- Deciding what kind of production you want to make, and the ‘mission statement’ for your piece
- Understanding and anticipating audience behaviour
- Planning and influencing journeys through the space
- Balancing interaction with narrative
- Giving your audience an active role, and navigating the thin line between free will and uncontrolled chaos
- Managing complex rehearsals, and preparing your cast for the unexpected
- Extending the audience experience outside of the performance
- Generating innovative ideas and tactics for marketing your production
Throughout the book, Jason Warren draws on his own experiences of creating immersive theatre work in a variety of styles and settings. Also included is a glossary of key terms, and a schedule to help you make the most of your rehearsal period.
An essential how-to guide for theatre-makers, artists, students and teachers who want to create their own immersive theatre, Creating Worlds is also a fascinating read for those interested in the inspirations and ideas that fuel the performances they love.